What is The Sandbox (SAND)?
The Sandbox ——The Decentralized Gaming Virtual World
- The Sandbox is a virtual world built on the Ethereum blockchain, where players can build, own, and monetize their gaming experiences.
- The SAND token is an ERC-20 utility token that is used for value transfers as well as staking and governance.
- Current products on The Sandbox platform include:
The Sandbox Key metrics
About The Sandbox
The Sandbox is a virtual world where players can build, own, and monetize their gaming experiences on the Ethereum blockchain using the platform’s utility token SAND.
The Sandbox is an ecosystem for players and creators. It consists of three main components: the Voxel editor (named VoxEdit), the marketplace, and the game maker.
- VoxEdit: software to create voxel ASSETS, which can then become Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) and be imported to the Marketplace.
- Marketplace: a decentralized marketplace for trading in-game ASSETS created in VoxEdit.
- Game Maker: a visual scripting toolbox that allows anyone to build 3D games for free.
SAND token holders can participate in the management of the platform through an autonomous organization (DAO), where they can exercise voting rights on key decisions of The Sandbox ecosystem. As a player, you can create digital assets (non-fungible tokens, also known as NFTs), upload them to the market, and then drag and drop them through The Sandbox Game Maker to create a game experience.
Players can collect tokens and resources, and trade with other players, creators, artists, etc. on the platform. This business model is called "play-to-earn" because everything they collect in the game is really owned by the player, and they can trade it to other players (in the market or on other websites) through token SAND is transferred to other players and even resold.
The SAND token has the following use cases:
- Medium of exchange: Players can potentially collect SAND through gameplay, and subsequently spend SAND to play games, purchase equipment, or customize Avatar characters. Creators can spend SAND to acquire ASSETS and LAND. Artists can spend SAND to upload ASSETS to the Marketplace and buy GEMs for defining item rarity.
- Governance: SAND allows holders to participate in governance decisions. SAND owners can vote themselves or delegate voting rights to other players of their choice.
- Staking: Users can stake SAND tokens to earn rewards, as well as GEMs and CATALYSTs for ASSETS creation.
The Sandbox Project Team
Arthur Madrid is co-founder and CEO at Pixowl, and he is one of the driving forces behind The Sandbox. He graduated with a degree in economics from Université Paris Dauphine in 2000. Madrid’s professional career began as a consultant for Eurogroup Consulting France, but he soon found his entrepreneurial spirit. In 2001, he founded 1-Click Media, which was later purchased by Ipercast.
Sebastien Borget is also a co-founder at Pixowl and serves as the COO of the company. He graduated with a degree in computer systems networking and telecommunications from Institut national des Télécommunications in 2007. His professional career began as a project lead for 1-Click Media, and since then, Arthur Madrid and Sebastien Borget have been an entrepreneurial duo. They founded Pixowl in 2011 and have been continually working on projects together.
NFT of LANDS
A LAND is a digital piece of real estate in The Sandbox metaverse that players can buy to build experiences on top of. Once player owns a piece of LAND, the player will be able to populate it with games and ASSETS. Multiple LANDs can be combined to form an ESTATE.
A total of 166,464 LANDs will ever be available, contained in a map that will form The Sandbox metaverse.
GEM and CATALYST defines the tier, scarcity, and attributes of ASSET. CATALYST adds empty sockets to the NFTs that can be filled with GEMs. The higher the quality of the CATALYST, the more sockets your ASSET will have.
Users can monetize their time on the platform, keeping 95% of SAND as revenue share, by:
- Selling ASSETS: Users can create and sell ASSETS on the marketplace as NFTs.
- Owning a LAND: Buy a LAND in one of the LAND sales. Players can then rent them or populate them with content to increase the LAND's value.
- Building Games on the Game Maker: Build and monetize games using the Game Maker on the LANDs that are owned by players.
Through the use of ERC-1776, The Sandbox allows platform users to initiate transactions on the Ethereum blockchain while transaction gas fees are paid by the platform, optimizing overall user experience.
The Sandbox has established cooperative relationships with more than 50 partners including ATARI, Crypto Kitties, Shaun the Sheep, etc., to build a creative game platform created and owned by players that "play while earning". The Sandbox aims to attract more encrypted and non-encrypted game enthusiasts through the advantages of real ownership, digital scarcity, profitability and interoperability brought by blockchain technology, and bring blockchain into the mainstream game world.